KUKA Medical Robotics offers a comprehensive portfolio for medical robotics and is shaping the future in this field with path-breaking technologies and high-tech products. From X-ray imagery to radiation therapy through to patient positioning, the medical sector benefits from KUKA’s many years of competence in the field of industrial robotics and automation. The team at KUKA Medical Robotics possesses an immense wealth of experience and products. It upgrades the robot components to meet the high demands of the medical sector for robot-based assistance systems for surgical procedures in the operating room, in diagnostics or as supportive partners in rehabilitation measures.
When you work with KUKA Medical Robotics you are choosing the leading manufacturer of robotic components in Europe. As a technology powerhouse and pioneering leader, KUKA develops practical key technologies for the growth markets of the future. We focus our research and development in the core areas of safe human-robot collaboration (HRC), compliant and sensitive handling, intelligent sensor systems, mobility, and simple and intuitive operator control.
Hand-in-hand with the robotic colleague: the LBR Med is conquering the operating room
The LBR Med is our new robot innovation for the medical sector. It is based on the sensitive LBR iiwa lightweight robot. With its sensory capabilities for safety, fast teaching and simple operator control, it acts a helpful assistant in the operating room.
The LBR Med is extremely responsive. Thanks to its joint torque sensors, it touches the patient sensitively, can be gently pushed aside by the doctor or therapist and automatically withdraws when touched. On the other hand, it is always ready to assist the doctor in complex motion sequences. Thanks to its special surface coating, the robot satisfies the highest hygiene requirements; its bio-compatible covers ensure absolutely sterile working surfaces.
Thus the LBR Med satisfies all the requirements for safe human-robot collaboration – as well as for its duties in the field of the clinical operating room. Equipped with the right medical devices and special programs, the LBR Med can be used to assist with endoscopy or biopsies, to use lasers to cut bones or to insert pedicle screws.
The team at KUKA Medical Robotics has implemented further technical refinements which greatly assist a medical products manufacturer in integrating the robot into his product. Because, after all, KUKA has had the LBR Med certified by means of a CB test report to IEC 60601-1 – an absolutely unique selling point for the collaborative lightweight robot.
KUKA robots make the difficult seem easy
Medical robotics at KUKA started more than 15 years ago with the use of our large robots. Currently, machines with payloads greater than 200 kilograms on a single load-bearing column are in use in medical robotics. In this respect, the distinction is made between two different systems:
- Systems bearing the weight of a person such as patient positioners for particle therapy, the hippotherapy robot for robotic riding therapy or the intelligent leg press for high-performance athletes in the HaiLeg research project.
- The Siemens ARTIS pheno is one of the systems involving the movement of heavy medical equipment: It moves an X-ray C-arm around the patient, thereby permitting the generation of CT-style 3D images directly in the operating room. The CyberKnife system also involves manipulation of a heavy X-ray gun which the robot directs precisely at the tumor. When the optional patient operating table is used, the system combines the CyberKnife with a system bearing the weight of patient.
The foundation for these medical applications is the QUANTEC robot from KUKA. Its robot arm and high stiffness are tailor-made for tasks where a heavy mass must be manipulated with the utmost precision. The robust design also minimizes maintenance costs and servicing requirements. Different installation locations and features allow the KUKA Medical Robotics team to configure the QUANTEC for a wide variety of applications in the medical field.
The KUKA Medical Robotics team
Our strong team at KUKA is ideally equipped to prepare KUKA products for use in the medical field. The team members have specific technical knowledge in the field of medical technology and the approvals scenarios. For this reason, our in-house dedicated Research and Development department can concentrate entirely on the subject of medical applications, quite independently of industrial requirements. This brings you unique advantages:
- Our contact staff speak your language.
- We have precise knowledge of your approvals topics
- Robots have available medicine-specific functional behaviors (such as trocar translations)
- Full PLM for robotic components in medicine
- Quality made in Germany
- Innovative design
- Maximum commitment to service and customer orientation
- Customer-specific solutions for your requirements in the medical sector
The end result is quick implementation and product realization of your ideas for medical robotics. KUKA Medical Robotics will support you as a partner at all times, from the evaluation model to final product.