Challenges in e-commerce and retail
Commercial companies are confronted with challenging requirements in the fields of e-commerce and retail and the associated logistics. They must respond to individual time and location preferences and make all product groups available. Same-day delivery, click-and-collect or simple returns processing are all part and parcel of a smooth shopping experience in today’s world.
Success in commerce is dependent in no small part on processes that occur behind the sales interface. Only those who deliver the right quality in the right place at the right time can meet the expectations of their customers. A well thought-out logistics chain is the be-all and end-all for sustained growth: it ensures that customers are satisfied and return to make further purchases. Companies with top logistics stand out from the competition and can prevail on the market in the long term.
Solutions for e-commerce and retail logistics
The KUKA Group offers flexible, robotic automation solutions characterized by utmost flexibility, speed and availability. With Swisslog’s many years of experience in all markets, from electronics to food and even fashion, we have in-depth expertise in the field of e-commerce and retail. So far, we have been able to implement more than 50 projects worldwide and significantly boost the efficiency of our customers: by means of fast delivery, reduced storage area, increased picking accuracy and much more besides.
Drawing on KUKA’s expertise, particularly in the field of robotics, we develop individual logistics processes – from a single source and for every application. These ensure optimal throughput and system availability. Our software solutions also offer transparency throughout the entire distribution channel from the retailer to the purchaser.
As an automation specialist and leading supplier of Industrie 4.0 solutions, KUKA and Swisslog also have an immense wealth of expertise in the acquisition, management and analysis of data. System-relevant information, such as availability and maintenance logs, or market information, such as trends and purchasing habits, is transparent at all times.
In addition to our modular product and process designs, flexible financing models help you to synchronize your logistical activities with your business.
Our services and areas of expertise
- Our many years of expertise as a system integrator and our bundled know-how (from design and simulation to the setup of distribution centers, commissioning and maintenance) enable us to process e-commerce projects in a very short space of time, thereby ensuring business stability.
- We offer 24/7 support: short response times, customer-specific service models, improved effectiveness and productivity.
- The custom-tailored Swisslog service concept makes it possible to minimize downtimes and to optimize and upgrade the system during ongoing operation.
Innovations and successes in e-commerce and retail
- We ensure optimal delivery times (throughput) and 99 percent availability, for example with the Click&Pick solution portfolio from Swisslog – with order processing rates five times faster than those with manual warehouse management.
- The integrated software of the KUKA Group uses open standards, ensures compatibility with third parties and is extremely user-friendly. We guarantee transparent processes throughout the entire supply chain – from receipt of order, warehousing, picking, packaging and sorting through to shipping.
e-commerce and retail customer projects
- For Fossil Germany, we have already implemented multi-functional logistics centers (shuttle systems). It was possible to improve the pick rate significantly and shorten delivery times.
- Catch of the day particularly benefited from the speed of our solutions and was able to guarantee next-day deliveries. The company also recorded cost savings of 50 percent.
- For brack.ch, we made it possible to amalgamate three distribution centers with AutoStore and create up to 60 percent more warehouse volume. It was also possible to increase the pick rate and reduce personnel costs by 20 percent.
- For DB Schenker, we implemented an innovative CarryPick solution. It offers the customer maximum flexibility for warehousing and order picking from the smallest articles up to bulky goods. A further advantage of the system: it can be simply expanded during ongoing operation or even relocated to a different building.